My Life

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Priorities in Marriage

As I sat in sacrament meeting today a couple walked in that were more in the sunset of their lives. The husband looked like a taller hunched over grandpa from Disney's movie UP. They walked in and sat down in the pew in front of us. As they sat there the wife passed her husband a note,
"Does my hair look okay?" 
Without even looking up he noded and smiled. Her hair did look nice and apparently he had already looked earlier. I thought this interaction was really cute. 

Later on in sacrament meeting I peeked over at the UP man and he was reading an article titled "How to Make your Marriage a Priority". This struck me. I don't know how long this couple has been married. They could be in their second marriage, they could have been married for 50 years for all I know. I don't know anything about them, but these two interactions I observed made me want what they have in their marriage no matter if Brett and I have been married for one year or 50. I asked Brett this morning "Does this shirt look okay with this skirt?" He nodded and smiled. Apparently we are on our way to being like this sweet couple. 

It made me think about school and the effort I put into get good grades. I also thought about my job and the time and effort I put into making my job what I want it to be. Then I thought, am I putting that much and more effort into making my marriage a priority like this sweet old man after who knows how many years. He was still trying to learn how to make his marriage a priority. It was such a good reminder. We can never be too old to educate ourself on how to make our marriages priority.

"Marriage is yet safe, with all its sweet fulfillment, with all its joy and love. In marriage all of the worthy yearnings of the human soul, all that is physical and emotional and spiritual, can be fulfilled...Eternal love, eternal marriage, eternal increase! This ideal, which is new to many, when thoughtfully considered, can keep a marriage strong and safe. No relationship has more potential to exalt a man and a woman than the marriage covenant. No obligation in society or in the Church supersedes it in importance." - Elder Boyd K Packer

No comments:

Post a Comment