My Life

Sunday, July 14, 2013

A week of realizations

I realized a couple things about myself this week:

1- I hate returning items to the store.  I would rather deal with buyers remorse and have a bunch of junk around my house than go stand it the line that seems to last forever to return my items. This may stem from a prideful side where I have to admit that I was wrong when I bought the items, or it may just be an intense dislike for waiting...


2- Concentrating is not my strong point and organizing is therapeutic. I am getting closer and closer to my deadline of Aug 6 when I defend my thesis.  THIS IS A BIG DAY! It is one that I've been working toward for two full years now, but for the life of me I cannot seem to sit down for longer than 30 minute intervals to work on my research. At the beginning of the week I tried very unsuccessfully to work on my paper and finally gave in to the  million other projects that I've been wanting to work on.  Alas, Thursday came and my paper still hadn't written itself, I had to buck up and Just Do It!  With Michael Jordan dunking over the Nike symbol in my head I got to work. Sadly my feeble attempts at concentration lasted maybe 40 minutes and I was off finishing another project, this process continued all week long; work on thesis-30 min, organize another box of junk-20 min, make a graph for thesis-30 min...  Kristi would probably tell you that this has been a good thing for me because not only have I worked on my thesis sporadically all weekend, I have also organized my bedroom, bathroom, vehicle, mission stuff box, and worked outside in the yard.  In all reality the small spurts of work have gotten me further that I expected to get by this point. So in all my frustration that I "wasn't getting anything done" I actually have a clean house and progress made on my thesis. Blessings!!
 Michaels had photo boxes on sale- I bought 14 and went to town!  My mission stuff didn't even see what was coming. 
 I am very guilty of making piles and more piles of everything and anything. It isn't very often that you see an empty surface on one of my desks!  Now to tackle my classroom.
More photo boxes holding wonderful memories!

3- Costa Vida/ Cafe Rio is still one of my most favorite places to eat. Sweet Pork salad with a nice big glass of ice water.  Need I say more?




4- Hands down Seven Bride for Seven Brothers is a classic that cannot be easily remade or updated because of it's awesome cheesiness. I went with a couple of friends to see Pickleville Playhouse's take on this classic, and was not disappointed.  They had us laughing the whole time! Though that old movie will always be a favorite this play came close in awesomeness! :)  Goin' courtin' going courtin'...


5- My mission changed my perspective on life. On a more serious note, I had the opportunity in my organizing to venture down memory lane and reminisce about my mission.  The people of central Illinois and Iowa will always have a soft place in my heart. I laughed and cried as I reread letters and journal entries from those 18 months that changed my life.  The friendships I made during that time are precious to me. My first mission president instilled in his missionaries OWTS- Obedience Warms the Soul; in one of our correspondences during the winter he reminded my companion and I in jest, "You know sisters, you wouldn't have to wear so many layers if you were just more obedient." I shiver when I think about how cold it was and no matter how many layers we wore we stole froze to the bone, but nothing could compare to the warmth of the spirit as we taught wonderful people about our Savior Jesus Christ. Christ changed my heart and the way that I look at life. I am so grateful for that time and will cherish those memories always!

6-We live in an amazing country. I don't like to get involved in political conversations because they never seem to come of anything but raised voices and disagreements, but as we observed the 4th of July holiday, in many ways over the past couple weeks, I've been able to reflect on the good things I have because I live in the "land of the free".

Jaelynn enjoying cousins and glow sticks galore!
She didn't care so much for the big fireworks but Rylie was there to put her arm around for comfort! LOVE IT!

Celebrating the 4th of July on the 3rd with fireworks and ABBA.  Nothing says America like a Swedish music group right?

6- My family will always be there for me!  Last but not least, I've realized how important my family is to me. I have looked back at many pictures of the past couple years and have many photo boxes of memories from good times with the family. :) Thank you for being my anchor when I wobble all over!



Nuff said...

1 comment:

  1. cute post! What is happening with mom and dad's blog...I am starting to think I am the only contributor!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete